Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Sweet ending


Stephen and I spent the am service on sunday with Breahill Baptist Church in northern Belfast, there are about 79,000 people in the area surrounding the church. 

Stephen preached a great message on the holy spirit. The church people seemed to really enjoy it, they also mentioned how the sunday before the message was on the same subject. I don't know if they thought that was bad or good, I just think God is trying to get a point across.

I got the opportunity to share a short lesson with the children at the start of the service. It went well, until the end when culture strakes again, it is customary here for the children to get a sweetie at the end of the lesson. So I finished the lesson (which is done in the front of all the church) and there was an odd silence and the children did not budge, I repeated that the lesson was over very sweetly, they did not move a muscle. I was to say the least shocked and confused. I just was racking my brain, what do I do now I thought. Then I said very kindly did I do something wrong. Then a very kind women got up and said they are waiting on their sweetie, as she went to the back to get them a treat. I know I looked like one of those cartoons when the light bulb goes off on the top of their head. Sweetie of course, why didn't I think of that.  

The whole church got a little chuckle out of it. Murmuring about how they kids were frozen where they sat until they got their sweet. I was so embarrassed about not having something for them.

The moral of the story for me, is to never leave home without a purse full of sweeties. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.