Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Pride and Honour

I was reading today in Proverbs 29:23 "A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit."

I began to think about the difference's between the two.  

Honour refers to things like, a high respect, a clear sense of what is morally right, a woman's chastity, to fulfil (an obligation) or keep (an agreement) and things like grace, privilege.

Pride is more a feeling of deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from achievements, qualities, or possessions that one has obtained themselves, consciousness of one's own dignity, or quality of having an excessively high opinion of oneself. 

What if I took a look at what I was doing for the Lord with a lot less pride of what I was putting into it, and remembered it is an honour to be able to do anything for him. 

I can recall someone saying how they would rather clean the bathrooms of a church in God's will then be a millionaire out of God's will. In my heart it now has more to do with the honour of serving him than the pride of doing something for myself. 

It is a tremendous honour to be serving God, where ever you do it. From the local church to across the world on a foreign  field. 





No comments: